Join Our Team
The mission of Cancer Pathways (formerly Gilda’s Club Seattle) is to ensure that no one has to face cancer alone. Cancer Pathways offers programs of educational, supportive, and community options for men, women, teens and children living with cancer along with their families and friends. Programs are offered in Seattle and throughout the State with collaborating partners in varied locations such as hospitals, community centers and schools. Services are provided free of charge to participants eliminating financial barriers to participation.
Cancer Pathways is an equal opportunity employer.
Seasonal Camp Director
Cancer Pathways is looking for a highly enthusiastic and motivated person to serve as the Seasonal Camp Director at our summer camp for children impacted by cancer, Camp Sparkle. Camp Sparkle is a free week-long day camp for children with a loved one with cancer or children with their own cancer diagnosis. We serve 150 children and teens every summer in Seattle, Tacoma, Bellevue and Everett. In the summer of 2019, Camp Sparkle will run 5 weeks of camp in our varied locations. The Camp Director will be responsible for the day-to-day operations of camp and on-site management of head counselors, volunteer counselors and campers. This position is a 2-month contract position starting mid or late June.
Key Job responsibilities:
- On-site management of summer camp program activities including therapeutic curriculum, meals and field trips.
- Uphold established routines, schedules, and procedures for camp operation.
- Responsible for group behavioral management and supporting counselors to effectively deal with individual behavioral issues and needs.
- Assist with organization and preparation of field trips
- Assist Family Program Manager in supervising and training head counselors and volunteer counselors.
- Assist Family Program Manager in establishing and maintaining excellent communication with campers, counselors and families, all of whom are impacted by cancer.
- Make decisions related to the welfare, health and safety of all campers and staff.
- Effectively manage camp participants during emergencies (i.e. medical, natural, etc.) and enact emergency procedures as set forth by Camp Sparkle/Cancer Pathways Policies and Procedures.
- Understand and respect the Camp Sparkle philosophy.
- Bachelor’s degree in Social Work, Education, Recreation Therapy or related field required, Master’s degree preferred.
- Previous summer camp or classroom experience required.
- Experience supervising and working with young adults and teens desired.
- Ability to relate well to diverse populations in a compassionate and respectful manner.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Creativity, excellent organizational skills, and willing to be a team player.
- First-aid certification required.
- Access to transportation and willingness to be on-site to supervise camps in Seattle, Tacoma, Everett and Bellevue.
- Part-time availability in June, 2019, preferred. Full-time availability July-August, 2019, required.
To apply, email Maddie Ritter at email@example.com. Please include cover letter and resume.
Mid-late June, 2019
April 15, 2019
$18.00-$22.00 per hour, DOE. Mileage reimbursement.