CANCER PATHWAYS CELEBRATES TEN YEARS OF SUCCESS IN EDUCATING HIGH SCHOOL AND MIDDLE SCHOOL STUDENTS ON CANCER RISK REDUCTION
CANCER HAPPENS: A FREE EDUCATIONAL RESOURCE FOR TEENS ON CANCER RISK REDUCTION
(Seattle, WA, September 2020) – Following 10 years of success in educating high school and middle school students on cancer prevention and risk reduction, Cancer Pathways is pleased to continue offering its 2020-2021 Cancer Happens® program to educators and teens at no cost. With 3 out of 4 teens knowing someone diagnosed with cancer, it’s important for them to understand that cancer can happen to anyone, its impact, and where to turn to for social and emotional support.
Cancer Happens is a great way to educate and empower teens on adopting healthy habits to reduce their risk of cancer and improve overall health. Working with educators, we create safe spaces for youth to learn about cancer and how they can reduce their future risk of cancer. We empower teens with credible sources of information and address the myths spread by vaping and tobacco industries who seek to lure today’s youth with their toxic products.
Course highlights include:
- Basic cancer facts that all teens should know
- Cancer risk factors and empowering steps that teens can take to reduce their risk of cancer
- Topics include: HPV prevention, specific cancers that can impact teens (e.g., skin cancer, testicular cancer, cervical cancer, lung cancer), and more
- How to support their friends or family members impacted by cancer
- Where teens can access more information on cancer resources
As a growing number of students transition to online learning due to the pandemic, we have adapted our successful in-person presentation of Cancer Happens® to the virtual classroom setting so that we can reach teens anywhere in the U.S. Read full article…
Access Cancer Happens
We make it easy for educators to access our materials so that it can be presented to youth in an engaging and informative way.
e-Learning Courses. We currently have 2 courses available. The first course is adapted from our in-person classroom presentation of Cancer Happens, which has been presented to over 100,000 students since 2005. The second e-Learning course is brand new and presents facts on the harmful effects of Vaping and e-Cigarettes.
Virtual Presentation. Cancer Pathway-trained professionals present Cancer Happens via a virtual platform for 45 minutes, bringing new opportunities for active learning and student engagement.
Register to Access Cancer Happens
You can be a teacher, a parent, a youth leader, health educator, or teen–we are happy to assist you with access to Cancer Happens. Simply fill out this registration form or email us with your question.
CANCER HAPPENS IMPACT ON TEENS
- Increased baseline knowledge of cancer, risk factors and protective factors
- Stronger connection & support for teens
- Awareness of resources for preventative screening, smoking/vaping cessation, immunizations, tips for healthy living
- Greater social impact through our community engagement programs (Teen Ambassadors, Teen writing contest)
Teens report their intent to:
- Reduce tobacco and vape use
- Increase physical activity
- Perform self-exams
- Improve nutrition
- Practice Sun Safety
- Take HPV protective measures
The material presented was very relevant to the lives of our students; cancer is something teens don’t think can happen to them. You definitely made an impact. They are already talking about what changes they can make.” – High School Teacher