Cancer Unwrapped Teen Writing Contest
Learning about a cancer diagnosis – your own or that of a loved one – can cause a storm of emotions, and everyone experiences it differently. We want to know what this experience was like for you.
Did you feel angry, sad, lonely, or maybe something you didn’t expect? What happened in your life, and did it change you or your perspectives?
We invite you to submit a short essay about your experience with cancer for the opportunity to win cash prizes. Since the contest began in 2006, we have received over 6,100 submissions and handed out over $175,000 in prize money to teens.
Over the years we have received stories of triumph and stories of great loss, stories written in times of turbulence, and stories written in times of quiet reflection. Each one has been honest, heartfelt, and unique.
Fri. March 4th, 2022
Contest Eligibility & Guidelines
- Open to teens in the United States in grades 9-12
- Essay length should not exceed 1,500 words.
- Not eligible: poems, essays about a pet, or fiction
- The contest deadline is Fri. March 4, 2022, midnight PST
- Cash prizes of $1,000 will be awarded to the winners (winners will be asked to fill out a IRS W-9 form).
- Winners will be invited to a virtual reception and asked to read their essays