Quit Tobacco Workshops
Are you ready to quit using tobacco products?
If you answered yes, no, or even maybe, then this program is for you!
We understand that quitting is hard work and sometimes taking the first step to quit can be even harder. Wherever you’re at in your quit journey, Cancer Pathways is here to support and guide you in a judgement-free space.
We are now offering tobacco cessation workshops using the American Lung Association’s Freedom From Smoking group program. This workshop is an 8-session, 7-week FREE curriculum that provides helpful tools, resources, and social support to help in making your quit attempt a success. Anyone (18+ years old) who uses a tobacco product (cigarette, vape/e-cig, chew/smokeless tobacco, pipes/cigars, etc) is welcome to join!
Our first workshop will be held virtually (via Zoom), starting January 10, 2023 and running through February 21, 2023 from 4pm-5:30pm PST, every Tuesday. Registration is required to attend the workshop. If you’re joining from outside Washington State, please be mindful of your time zone.
Learn more about Cancer Pathways’ Quit Workshops and the American Lung Association’s Freedom From Smoking curriculum.
Frequently Asked Questions
How does it work?
You will meet virtually (via Zoom) with a small group of others who are also working on stopping their tobacco use. The program is 7 weeks with 8 sessions and is led by an American Lung Association certified facilitator.
What will I learn?
Over the course of the workshop, you will learn:
- Why you smoke/vape/chew and what motivates you to want to quit
- Medicines that can help you stop
- Lifestyle changes that make quitting easier
- Preparing for Quit Day
- Coping strategies
- Managing stress
- Avoiding weight gain
- Developing a new self-image
- How to stay smoke-free for good
What will I get?
There’s a lot included at no-cost to participants. After you register and attend the first session, you will receive:
- A hard-copy participant workbook and recorded relaxation exercises ($25 value)
- A Cancer Pathways ‘Quit Kit’ ($25 value)
- Educational tools and resources
- Peer support from individuals going through the same experience
- Healthier brain, lungs, heart, and body!
- Nicotine-free lifestyle
- $$$ saved
What if I'm nervous about quitting or not quite ready?
That’s perfectly okay and to be expected! You’re still welcome and encouraged to join. Quit Day isn’t until Week 4, so there’s plenty of time to work through those nerves and any concerns you may have.
How successful is the program?
When used in combination with cessation medication(s), up to 60% of Freedom From Smoking participants reported having quit by the end of the program
What if I can't make those dates and times?
Please reach out and let us know! We would be happy to connect you with other tobacco cessation resources and follow-up with you when our next workshop is scheduled.
Additional Resources and Support
- 1-800-QUIT-NOW (1-800-784-8669): Tobacco Quitline with free, confidential counseling, and if eligible, free FDA-approved quit medication.
- Cancer Pathways’ Resource Hub
- Cancer Pathways’ eLearning
- Cancer Pathways’ Cancer Happens program: e-cigarette and tobacco prevention education to middle and high school students.